2 children badly injured in KC house fire

(KANSAS CITY, Mo., AP) — Authorities in Kansas City say two children were home alone when their house caught fire, leaving both badly injured.

KSHB-TV reports (http://bit.ly/JxRX9c) a 14-year-old girl called 911 just before midnight Thursday saying she was having trouble breathing, but didn’t mention the fire. Firefighters only learned about the fire when they arrived.

Fire Chief Paul Berardi says firefighters heard faint screaming and found the 14-year-old lying protectively on top of her 5-year-old sister. Firefighters later said the fact the girls were on the floor might have helped save their lives.

Both girls were unresponsive, but first responders revived them on the way to a hospital where both remained in critical condition Friday afternoon. Investigators traced the fire’s origin to the kitchen, where food had been left on a stove.

Posted by on December 28, 2013. Filed under Missouri News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>