(JEFFERSON CITY, Mo., AP) — Missouri top utility regulator says a fiery explosion at a Kansas City restaurant appears to have occurred after a pipeline was damaged — not because of any sudden failure of the infrastructure
Public Service Commission Chairman Kevin Gunn said Wednesday that five staff have been dispatched to investigate Tuesday evening’s explosion at JJ’s restaurant at the Country Club Plaza.
Gunn says preliminary information indicates that gas pipelines had been marked — as required by law — before a contractor started doing work in the area. He says a gas leak appears to have occurred after a pipeline was hit.
Gunn says Missouri Gas Energy followed state rules in promptly reporting the incident.
It could take up to six months before state regulators release a final report on the explosion.